The Texas Healthcare & Bioscience Institute (THBI) works to promote effective legislation and a steady regulatory environment at the state and federal levels. With a focus on using advocacy as a tool to create a more favorable business environment for various healthcare entities, we work with government and industry leaders to attract new participants in the life sciences.
Our members not only have a voice at the Capitol through our revered legislative team, but they also benefit from extensive networking in the healthcare space across Texas. THBI is the leading health policy voice in the state, influencing legislation that has led to economic investment and medical breakthroughs for over 20 years.
Texas is one of the leading life science states in the country and continues to outpace national growth for the industry. We must continue to protect and grow the life science industry in this state.
Did you know:
- Texas is home to more than 7,400 life science businesses and over 116,000 employees in related fields.
- Texas’ academic R&D complex is among the fastest growing in the U.S. since 2018.
- Texas university R&D expenditures exceeded $4.1 billion in 2020.
- Texas received more than $1.5 billion in NIH Funding in 2021.
- Texas is 9th is the U.S. in patent awards with 5,312 awards in 2021.
- Texas is 6th in the U.S. in bioscience venture capital investments with $4.9 billion in 2021.
- Since 2004, there have been 17,087 clinical trials open or completed in Texas.
Treasurer | Genentech, Inc.
The University of Texas MD Anderson
Eli Lilly & Company
Jeffrey L. Wade
THBI EXECUTIVE STAFF